Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Involving Text



The assignment here was to begin involving text into out designs. I was stuck trying to solve my problem of getting a breaking wave in to the computer. This is the first attempt at making a wave look more 3-d in the computer. It is very easy to loose much of the texture and interest gained from drawing by hand. This shape was created by translating and shrinking a shape as you build layers backward. I felt I could do better so I tried again:



This was a much more successful wave in my mind. It really pulls you in an creates the feel of a wall of water breaking. I misunderstood the idea to involve text as a design instead of involving text in the design and ended up with a possible surf shop type ad. The colors ended up looking great but I'd really like to get some foam and more texture in the design.

A friend and I went camping up at 6,500 outside Sisters on a very cold 20 degree October night. In the morning I saw some pinecones laying around the campsite and realized that this is what I'm searching for. Being a glass artist, this reminded me of the Italian technique, reticello, where you have cane and bubbles going in two opposing directions. People have mentioned the Fibionachi sequence to me after seeing some of my glass and paintings. After a bit of research I found that pinecones do follow the sequence for the most part. After tweaking curves in photoshop, I added colors and interest to nature's patterns.













No comments: